The next Dogsafe course will be on Saturday, November 4th 2017. The cost for this 8 hour comprehensive course is $139 plus GST.
We are very pleased that Robyn Andexser is the first and only DOGSAFE Instructor in Nanaimo and teaches the course here on a regular basis.
In DOGSAFE® 101, You will Learn How to:
- – prevent common injuries
- – conduct a head to tail assessment
- – tell if your dog is experiencing pain
- – recognize 4 signs of illness or injury
- – respond to any emergency in 4 easy steps
- – safely approach an injured dog
- – take your dog’s vital signs and 3 other health tests
- – perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR)
- – perform artificial respiration
- – remove an airway obstruction (choking)
- – treat minor wounds
- – prevent and treat for shock
- – control deadly bleeding
- – deal with penetrating objects
- – prevent and treat eye injuries
- – prevent and treat abdominal wounds
- – recognize risk factors and respond to bloat
- – prevent and respond to drowning
- – assess and respond to bone and joint injuries
- – prevent and respond to poisonings
- – prevent and respond to frostbite and hypothermia
- – prevent and respond to heatstroke
DOGSAFE® courses are designed to make complex topics easy. Our teaching techniques will appeal to auditory, visual and tactile learners. Everyone will learn thru seeing, listening, moving and doing which improves knowledge retention. This means that you not only learn the topics on course day, but more importantly, retain the information for years to come. This makes learning with DOGSAFE not only fun, but effective.
Our Training Techniques Include:
Instruction / Demonstration / Hands-on Learning / Discussion / Q&A / Videos
Our Training Tools Include:
Canine resuscitation manikins / Plush demonstration dogs / Bandages / Splints / Even fake guts, eyeballs and much more!
Upon successful completion of the hands-on practical and written test, you will be granted a frame-ready, 8 1/2″ x 11″ DOGSAFE® certificate that you can be proud to show your family, friends, clients and even your dog!
DOGSAFE® Course Manual Included:
DOGSAFE: Everything Your Dog Wants You to Know in an Emergency, by DOGSAFE® Founder, Michelle Sevigny is included FREE with DOGSAFE® Part 1 course registration ($18.95 retail value). The 126 page comprehensive manual includes 56 real-life photographs and is spiral bound for durability. The course training and reference manual is reviewed & supported by veterinarians, including Dr. James Lawson, Chief Animal Health Officer of the BC SPCA.
PLUS, the course manual includes:
- – A Vital Signs Checklist for keeping track of your dog’s essential information.
- – A Disaster Preparedness Checklist.
- – An Essential Phone Numbers list for easy access in emergencies.
- – A K9 Incident Report Form to ensure accurate info during veterinary follow-ups.
- – An Airway, Breathing & Circulation ABC Assessment Flowchart for easy reference.
- – A multiple choice & true/false quiz to test your knowledge.
The DOGSAFE® training and reference manual contains even more topics that are not covered in the course — a priceless manual for future reference.
Hands-on Experience with Canine CPR Manikins
DOGSAFE® Canine First Aid is the only canine first aid course available that has invested in your canine first aid education by providing canine CPR manikins for each student. This allows for ample hands-on practice. The canine CPR manikins are vital educational tools that are considerably more life-like than using stuffed toys. Our manikins have working pulse and lungs enabling you to actually perform canine CPR, a technique that is not possible to conduct on live dogs.The DOGSAFE course goes far beyond just watching an instructor demonstrate CPR and provides opportunities for hands-on practice with your very own canine CPR manikin — an essential component to effective learning.
“The materials and subjects were very well organized and easy to follow, and I was very impressed with the professionalism from the instructor. The manual that came with this course was well organized and supplied the required information without getting bogged down in too many technical explanations. I was VERY impressed and would have no hesitation recommending any pet owner to take this course. In fact, I believe it is a duty that we owe to our little buddies – to know how to help them should they ever need it.”
– Murray Preusche, Nanaimo DOGSAFE graduate